Thursday, April 18, 2013

Summer Socks ~ and Simcha and the Old West

It's almost May 1st, which is May Day (as opposed to "MAYDAY" which is a distress call) and it has me thinking about Spring flowers, Summer festivals and all things Summery and whimsical including my new summer Love Socks!


The above picture of my legs reminds me of a cute story involving my mom.  She was a teenager in England during WWII when there were many American servicemen stationed in her home town, a small fishing village called Teignmouth.   She, of course, enjoyed the attention that these men gave the local girls including the wolf whistles when they walked by.  One day while she was out walking she was feeling very pretty when a group of men began whistling at her.... until she heard one call out "I bet she can sing" quickly followed by "because she has legs like a canary."  They all hooted in laughter and my mother wished she could simply melt away instead of having to continue to walk past them mortified and ungainly from embarrassment.  To this day she will dissolve into laughter when she tells this story.  And yet since she married an American there apparently were no hard feelings.  So no unkind comments on my legs please!


But I digress from knitting.  It occurs to me that it's been a while since I've shared a knitting tip on the blog so without further ado:

Mr. Puffy's Sock Knitting Tip:  When knitting socks from the cuff down you can create a stretchy "cast on" edge by casting on over two needles held together.  You simply remove the additional needle when you begin knitting and it helps create extra room to stretch over your heel.     

Lastly a sweet noesgay inspired picture in honor of May Day! 


Particulars:  Love Socks by Devon Clement (free Ravelry download); 1 skein Canon Hand Dyed yarn (Charles Self Striping Sock Yarn - black unicorn colorway); US 1 DPNs.  This is a gem of a free pattern ~ fun to knit and an easy introduction to intarsia knitting which is much easier than you would think.  For more self striping socks see Halloween Socks and Ghosts and Ghouls

Simcha and the Old West 


At times I can envision Simcha as a wolf standing guard over the vast territories of the American West.  I think it might be because at times his behavior can resemble that of a wild animal.  Which is why we have had to create some house rules.  House Rule No. 1:  Never turn your back on food when Simcha is loose.  House Rule No. 2:  If you are ever tempted to trust Simcha around food - refer to rule No. 1.  There have been some unfortunate incidents necessitating strict rules.

Until next time, be well and love well and make sure to discover what fun Spring festivals take place in your area and whatever you do don't forget to buy some flowers to celebrate May Day!

14 comments:

gMarie said...

Beautiful socks! We had similar rules when Lucy was still alive. Beau is much too polite to help himself and Abby is too short. g

Willow said...

Oh Simcha, you are so handsome standing sentinel on that high rock!

And your mom's socks (and legs) are just as beautiful! LOVE those hearts knitted into the heels!

Tracy said...

SWEET socks, Claudia! And love the hearts on the heels... too cute! Very nice yarns as well--I like the pairing of the black with the lilac self-stripe. Simcha does have the look of an old cowboy, doesn't he?! Very funny story about him. :o) Spring is very sloooow unfolding here, lots of days it still feels wintry. Not even my tulips are in leaf yet...*sigh*... But plenty of fiber and art to keep me going until more days spend outdoors. Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

SissySees said...

Cute socks, beautiful photos, and I'm glad your mother can laugh about that story now!

Kristen Rettig said...

Sock envy here, I've never knit a pair! Simcha is so handsome!

Barnabas - bed and breakfast blogging said...

I didn't know your Mum is from Teignmouth, a mere half hour drive from us. You really must come and visit ! Pretty socks too

monica said...

I love those socks! I don't think that you have bird legs at all. They are nice and shapely.

Simcha is so regal. We have to hide food around the house from our dog!

Hilary said...

"Whimsical" is the perfect word to describe these socks! They are too much fun! I've been really eager to try my hand at intarsia, and this looks like the perfect pattern to do so.

I'm glad your mom laughs about the story now! It just makes me think, "Sheesh, if you can't say anything nice..." what is wrong with people!? Especially because I'm sure she was absolutely gorgeous!

Andi said...

Let me count the way..of how much I love those socks! Fantastic!

Renee said...

love your whimsical striped socks!
Simcha has grown into a regal, impressive shepherd!

t does wool said...

hellos sweet friend...you remind me of Dorothy in Oz..gorgeous and yes, whimsical..comfy socks and your stories always make me smile~xx

Willow said...

I wondered how close you were to the southern edge of the fire. I'm relieved to know you are ok too.

Robin said...

Love your socks! :)

canvas prints said...

Stripy socks are the best. i have loads of pairs.