Sunday, January 27, 2008

English Pancake Recipe

Mr. Puffy and I enjoy taking a break in our day to relax and enjoy a restorative cup of tea along with a treat (either sweet or savory).   It is generally acknowledged that the tea experience is enhanced when it is shared with someone and Mr Puffy and I do love our teas.

We enjoy teatime best with our feet up, enjoying a treat, and watching TV.  Currently we are watching To Serve Them All my Days, an adaptation of the novel by R.F. Delderfield. It is a wonderful story about David Powlett Jones, a Welsh miner's son who becomes a schoolmaster at an elite boarding school. Other than that I find it hard to describe this story because it is not a romance, but it is romantic; it is not a drama, but it is dramatic; and it is not a tragedy, but it is so very tragic at times. I look forward to watching this series every January so the cold that surrounds me mirrors the cold of the British Moors.

And whilst watching TV and drinking tea on a cold and rainy day, I find no treat as enjoyable as a plate of hot English pancakes!  They are very easy to make and oh so good and I've shared the recipe below.



English Pancake Recipe

Ingredients:
1 Cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 Cup Milk

Garnish:
Lemon juice (Meyer lemons are preferred)
white sugar
Steps:

1. Sift flour and salt into a small bowl. Make a well in the center and drop in both eggs.
2. Add about 1 tbsp. milk and then mix in a little flour from the sides of the bowl with a wooden spoon. Keep adding milk and combining the flour gradually until all the flour is absorbed.
3. Beat batter with electric mixer until batter is covered in small bubbles.
4. Let stand for 1 hour in a cool place.
5. Cook on a lightly oiled griddle over medium/high heat. Pour small amount of batter in pan and tilt pan to spread batter in a thin layer. Cook quickly and flip once.
6. Garnish with lemon and sugar and roll up like a crepe.


It's a good idea to have your tea tray prepared in advance so you can still enjoy your crepes while they are warm. This is one of my mother's recipes and she used to make them quite frequently for my sister and I when we were children.

13 comments:

kasiaiscarly said...

is that a non-knit tea cozy i see? :) tea time sounds lovely! and i'm glad i'm not the only one in the states to say 'mum' (though in writing i still write 'mom' but when i speak, mum comes out thanks to my friend Nicola!)

jillian said...

Those look yummy. Thank you for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful photos. I especially love the one of Mr. Puffy. He looks like he is agreeing with everything you say. Tea time at your house sounds like so much fun. I'm going to add the movie to my Netflix que ... I've never seen it.

Pat K said...

Those do look scrumptious!

Bridget said...

Mr Puffy is not only wise, he looks quite sincere in his beliefs ...

Nothing is better than a cup of tea, a friend, and a treat. Ever!

Monika said...

Oh, that looks so yummy! We call them "Palatschinken" and fill them with apricot marmelade, or sometimes with fine cottage cheese mixed with sugar and a little lemon juice. The way you eat yours is new to me, but sounds equally delicious. And thanks for thinking of Karl and me today, it went well. His heart is beating normally now. Hopefully he'll not have to repeat this procetur any time soon. I'll be picking him up in an hour. :o)

Anonymous said...

Ah, so I'm not the only one who has tea with her dogs! My puppy is not yet able to appreciate tea time, but my senior Jack Russell even has favorite teas! He likes more robust varieties, it seems...

Anonymous said...

Mr. Puffy, who looks quite handsome at the tea tray, is indeed a lucky dog. His Mom not only makes yummy tea treats but also uses her china for just the two of them. How nice!

Knitted Gems said...

See, I knew you were good people! Good people love tea, pancakes, dogs (though who doesn't love Mr. Puffy?) and knitting.
I prefer my pancakes to be a bit fluffier, just a bit of baking powder to help them rise. Plus I have to swap out the lemon garnish for Vermont maple syrup.

Windyridge said...

They look like French crepes unwrapped. I love a good cuppa too and Mr Puffy seems to be thoroughly enjoying his cup. I will try this recipe. They look very tasty!

franx said...

Wow it's nice time for tea time Mr Puffy

Anonymous said...

This teatime photo of Mr. Puffy always makes me smile whenever I see it. It's almost as much fun as the one you used of him modeling one of your knitted hats.

missyinedmonds said...

Awww...Mr. Puffy, what a sweetie pie. I love the memory of him.