Friday, May 16, 2008

Lemon Pound Cake Recipe with Lemon Glaze


With my tea today I'm enjoying my favorite lemon pound cake. The recipe is slightly adapted from The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. I have both her Moosewood cookbooks and have enjoyed many of the recipes.

Since I don't like to make a huge bunt cake I simply half the recipe and bake it in a loaf pan for 1 hour. In addition to using lemon extract I like to add the zest of 1 lemon to give it a little extra zing. I also add a lemon glaze once the cake is cooled because otherwise a pound cake can seem a bit plain.

Lemon Pound Cake;


All of the following ingredients should be at room temperature:
1/2 lb. unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 & 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp. lemon extract
1 & 1/2 tsps. baking powder
zest from fresh lemon
2 cups all purpose white flour

Steps:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf pan (butter and flour) to prevent sticking.

2.  Using electric mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Remove mixture from electric mixer and continue using a wooden spoon.

3.  Sift together flour and baking powder.  Set aside.  Mix together milk and lemon extract and lemon zest and set aside.

4.  Alternately add flour and then milk mixture, mixing thoroughly with wooden spoon after each addition.  Both begin and end with flour.  Mix thoroughly but don't over mix and/or beat mixture.

5.  Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.  Bake for approximately 1 hour or until tester comes away clean.  Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely before glazing or slicing.   

Lemon Glaze:

1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 tbs. lemon Juice
1 tbs. whole milk

Combine ingredients and drizzle over cooled pound cake.



By the way, although I don't often drink wine, I do enjoy an occasional glass and would love to hear any of your recommendations!

And I have been knitting too....Just when I decided that I didn't like variegated yarns anymore I discovered the perfect pattern. I can't stop admiring how nice these gauntlets look with a variegated yarn.  Which just goes to show that there really is a pattern for every yarn!

Specs: Pattern: Basic Gauntlets from Capistrano Fiber Studio; US 3 needles; 1 skein hand painted Capistrano Fiber Studio (150 yrds. superwash fingering merino). I bought this yarn and pattern at a LYS that has since gone out of business. The pattern was written by Lori Lawson owner of Capistrano Fiber Studio (who dyed the yarn). I must say her yarns are some of the prettiest yarns I've ever knit with - she also wrote the pattern and and dyed the yarn I used for my Lace Scarf With Ruffle - Ravelry Link).

Have a great weekend everyone!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you make your neighbor a pair of those I will be sad,I want a pair,too...Thank you for the recipe links...happy W/E...

Monika said...

I think it might have been a hint, now you have to knit him a pair! ;o)
Sometimes variegated yarn is just perfect, like with your gauntlets. Nice pictures again! I like the pound cake pic especially! I have three Mooswood cook books, and hardly ever look in any of them, that's true to all my cook books. I should do that more often, to get some variety on my table.
I made some oatmeal/orange/chocolate chip cookies yesterday, and I prefer to add the zest, instead of the extact, if possible.
Have a nice weekend!

knittingdragonflies said...

Think you were reading my mind, I have just made the same from that cookbook, and yes I vote for the wine.
Love the gauntlets, the color is lovely
Vicki

Anonymous said...

Your gauntlets look so pretty. Not only do they match your hat, they match the flowers in your garden as well.

My afternoon delight is a cup of tea as well. I am currently smitten with Lapsang tea. I love to mix it with a fruity herbal tea.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Bridget said...

What pretty gauntlets - they look like they fit right in with the spring flowers!

I love lemon anything, so will definitely try this recipe, thank you.

Yes, I am a tea lover, but must also admit to being a wine lover. I love red wine, but it would give me migraines, so I thought I was never going to be able to have red wine again. But a friend told me about organic wines, which have no *added* sulfites - I can drink red wine again! The one that is easiest to find around here is from Frey vineyards, but I'm sure there are more choices in California ...

jillian said...

Your gauntlets are so pretty - and I can't believe how well they match your hat! Lori does indeed do magic with colors.

Windyridge said...

I am checking out that recipe in a minute, it looks delish!
Most Fingerlakes wines are pretty good...especially those with a hint of berry or peach.
The mitts are pretty!

Denise said...

Ooh I love your post today, the pictures are beautiful. I love your gauntlets and the varigated yarn is just perfect. As you know I'm not a tea drinker, but I do like wine. Can't really recommend anything though, cos I drink a very cheap kind, white Zinfandel!! I don't like reds at all. I do like a nice Riesling too.
:-)

SissySees said...

Everything is so very lovely! I think we have the same wine glasses... But yes, I'll take a pot of tea every time. I'd love a slice of pound cake about now...

Hilary said...

Not only do those great gauntlets match your hat, but they also match your nails! I'm the same way about variegated yarn -- I'm usually not so into it, but lately have been finding it really pretty in certain projects. Your Capistrano yarn is VERY pretty.

Since marrying my husband, I have learned more about wine than I ever thought I would -- some of my own personal favorites are Bogle Chardonnay, St. Francis Cabernet Sauvignon, and, more recently, the inexpensive "HoneyMoon" Viognier from Trader Joe's (so refreshing!). Oh, and Gallo's Sonoma Reserve Cabernet. Other vineyards I like are Cakebread (pricey but DELICIOUS), Shiloh Road, Stonestreet (whites), Mill Creek, and Bonny Doon. Ok, I'll stop now. :)

Firefly Nights said...

You always have such lovely photos. I think you could knit with the fibers from a gunny sack and turn out a pretty garment with a great presentation. Mr. Puffy must be very proud.

The cake photo looks so sunny that it almost seems to be here in the room. Also love lots of lemon flavor. The ones that just hint at the lemon are too wimpy. I like a bold, tart kick.

I think you're being polite when you say "warm, sunny days" have arrived. From what I saw on the TV weather reports, it's been downright stinkin' hot in your area for several days. Don't want to wish bad things on you, but better there than here. I HATE hot weather.

Used to love wine, but haven't been able to drink it except very carefully since I started taking arthritis medicine. I turn red and get extremely hot. Both reds and whites will do it. On rare occasions, if I eat beforehand, I may be able to have one glass.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful mitts! Coffee or tea and a treat for me!

Nicole said...

with 3 young gals @ home my afternoon delight must be a pot of tea! which i'm ok with! your gauntlets are so pretty! and about your neighbor... hmmn... he definitely was hinting at something! LOL :0) and wow, he even noticed that your hat matched!!!wonder what he would do if you did in fact knit a pair for him?
thanks for the great recipe!
cheers!

amanda said...

Depending on the kind of day I've had, my afternoon delight could be either tea or wine, and I'd add pound cake to that any day!!!

Bridget said...

Just me again, letting you know that I tagged you for a meme. If you are so inclined, meme away!

:-)

Denise said...

I tagged you at my blog if you feel like playing along.. but not to worry if you don't :-)