Wednesday, April 29, 2009

To Market We Will Go!

It's a Market Bag for my Mom on Mother's Day! I'll also stuff it full of her favorite British goodies so she feels thoroughly spoiled. Bags, like scarfs, make wonderful gifts because you don't have to worry about sizing. Although, you still need to pick the right color....



I picked pink! She won't find a bright pink Market Bag just anywhere. I know, because I've looked. It really is something that needs to be custom knit for you. I do think she will like it, because she loves bright happy colors as much as I do. Well, almost as much. But think also of the practical side! This will make it much easier for my father to find her in a crowd.

While it is a vibrant pink, the yarn has a nice tweedy texture and the color is much softened in the sunlight. Certainly very wearable.



Although at first Mr Puffy wasn't sure about a pink purse....



He quickly came around when he understood that it was for gathering food at the Farmer's Market. Then he was thrilled with it and indeed ready to take off for the market himself! Mr Puffy does enjoy good food, and is willing to do his part.



Particulars: Rutabaga Shopping Bag (Knitscene, Spring 2007); 2 skeins Green Mountain Spinnery, Cotton Comfort (peony colorway); US 10.5 Needles (circular); Modification: This is a great pattern and I didn't change a thing. I particularly love the stitch pattern (shown best in the photo below) which creates a nice strong stretchy fabric. However, I did feel that the handle was a bit flimsy. To rectify this I crocheted along the selvedge stitches on both sides of the strap - twice on each side - for good measure. I do think a purse needs a sturdy strap to be comfortable. I used a simple crab stitch and it worked like a charm. Dimensions: 11" x 11" (excluding the strap)



A Wee bit about my Mum

My mother is a remarkable woman who (in her eighties) is still walking down to the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. She enjoys looking into the shops along the way and after she has shopped at the market my father picks her up. Since this bag can be tucked into her purse until needed, I think that she will find it handy to take along!

This is a picture of my Mother taken on my last visit to Santa Barbara, early in March. We are sitting on the upstairs patio of Cafe Biano in Victoria Court where we like to stop for coffee and cake. Their coffee is wonderful (we splurge and have the cappuccino) and it's a favorite spot of ours to sit and have a little chat before moseying along to visit the shops. If it happens to be a Saturday, we always end up at the Santa Barbara Farmer's Market from whence my father conveniently picks us up!

As you can imagine, my Mother is a marvelous cook, having honed her skills through decades of cooking for my father. Lucky man! Some of you may recall her Apple Pie Recipe (which is wonderful - do give it a try). This similarly is another classic American dish. Enjoy!


Mr Puffy's Favorite Meatloaf Recipe

Ingredients:

1.25 lbs Ground Turkey (not the extra lean - that's too dry)
2-3 tablespoons white bread crumbs
1 egg
1 medium onion - grated
1 cup fresh mushrooms - finely diced
dried or fresh basil to taste
dried or fresh oregano to taste
salt to taste
dried tomato or chili peppers - optional (I personally never add either)
1 can Campell's condensed tomato soup (do not add water)

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees;
2. Combine in a bowl all ingredients EXCEPT the canned soup;
3. Place mixture into loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes;
4. Take loaf pan out of the oven and pour can of condensed tomato soup over top. Do not dilute the soup with water; use the whole can. Return loaf pan to oven and continue cooking for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Generally the cooking time is approximately45 minutes total.

Until next time.... make healthy choices and try and visit your local Farmer's Market!

23 comments:

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love your market bag. I have actually been thinking about making one for my mother because we start frequenting the farmers market as soon as it opens (June). Love the pink, I might have to copy you!

Willow said...

We go to the Camarillo Farmers Market EVERY Saturday! But I don't have a lovely market bag like your mum's. Must rectify that. And I'm thinking my girls would like them...

jillian said...

So cute! a vibrant pink for a vibrant woman :)

t does wool said...

yes,yes...it's beautiful,C...she will adore it!!! so pretty and useful...now,hmmm, to try the delicious meatloaf and apple pie...some all American eating!!

raining sheep said...

What a great gift. I love the pink, who would put that in their purse? I think she will happily be wearing the bag over the hand or shoulder and show it off. I like the fact that the bag does look as if it is pretty stretchy so one could fit quite a bit in there. I am spending my mothers in Vegas. We are leaving this Friday. Can't wait to be in a place that is warm. I don't even know what that feels like!!

Anonymous said...

Cute bag! I have to make one too, but mom will be getting a sun hat for Mother's day. Now off to start it!

amanda said...

Love the bag - you mom will love it, too. I wish we had more farmer's markets in my area. The one closest to my house is open on Thursdays, which doesn't work with my work schedule, and the weekend ones are a good 20 minutes away. I esp. love the fresh milk from the local dairies....

SissySees said...

Love the bag! I'm delighted to have a link to the crab stitch. I just heard of it as I was coordinating the crochet workshop for our guild...

Your mother must be a remarkable woman. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of her and sharing her recipes!

Hilary said...

Oh, what a great bag!! Your mom is sure to love it. The bright pink is lovely -- not too bright. And your mom's meatloaf recipe made my stomach grumble! I think everyone on my floor heard it. :)

Anonymous said...

How lovely and practical! I'll have to show my mom the pattern as she knits (I crochet).

Bridget said...

The bag is beautiful - and I think the color is perfect! (Are you going to have to make one for Mr P?)

Your mom looks like a truly lovely woman. I am so jealous of you, still having your mother around. Be sure to give her an extra hug and kiss from me.

Monika said...

The bag is very cheery, and I think a lovely gift! I hope it streches a lot, so you can fill it with lots of goodies! It's good to see your mom's so well and enjoys going to the market and all. That meat loaf looks delicious! I have to give it a try, because both my son and DH like meat loat, I just don't cook it that often.

tiennie said...

That is a great bag! What a nice gift for you wonderful mama!

Jules said...

I love that bag! Very cute and the pink does make it unique. Your mom looks like a real sweetie. :o)

sweetp said...

Mr Puffy you are so adorable!

Tracy said...

Hi, Claudia! The pink just sizzles...I love it! That bag is such fun and what a good size too. The stitch is wonderful. You & Mr. Puffy make great models...Work it Mr. Puffy! ;o) Our Charlie would probably like a bag like this to hide in/sleep on--LOL! Your mom is sooo cute! Love her smile! Apple pie and meatloaf...my hubby would like these tonight. Fun post...Hope you are having some fun this weekend, my friend. ((HUGS))

Lara said...

I love the bag. I so need one of those. Your mom is too cute. I think that is great that she is still going to the Farmer's market at 80! I love that.

Windyridge said...

I am trying that recipe. I am always looking for a variation on meatloaf and the tomato soup is an ingenious idea!
Love the bag! Your mom will love it too I'm sure.

Renee said...

What a wonderful market bag and Mother's Day gift. I especially like the vibrant pink. Market Days sound like a great tradition. We enjoy the farmers market too but ours is a 20 minute drive down the highway.

Mmmmm, definitely going to try the recipe ~ thanks for sharing it Claudia!! Say thanks to your mom too. :)

Ally Jay said...

Te market bag is bound to be a huge hit. I love the colour you've chosen.

Marie said...

Thank you for writing this post. I have been hunting for a market bag pattern for my cousin, who also lives in California (San Fran).

The more I learn about Mr. Puffy, the more I like him. I'd love to go hunting for good food with him.

knittingdragonflies said...

An excellent gift. I love the vibrant color, Happy Mothers day to you and your Mom.
Vicki

Firefly Nights said...

Lovely photo of your mother. Please tell her she looks much younger than her age. I'm sure she's going to LOVE the market bag. It looks great with you and with Mr. P and the little vase of flowers was a nice touch!