Friday, July 6, 2007

Where Do You Draw The Line?




Fifi is done and FIFI elle c'est magnifique! I loved knitting this top. The yarn is Rowan Calmer (almost 4 skeins) and the pattern was interesting and fun to knit. I had only one issue with the design. Where to draw the line? The pattern was designed with the line demarcating the separation of the top cables and the body ribbing hitting just above the breast. However, upon reflection, I wasn't sure that I was entirely comfortable with that look (if you know what I mean). I therefore put the question to clever DB (aka: Steve) and design savvy Mr. Puffy (who is always dressed appropriately). After much conferring and whispering between these two they pronounced that the line should, yes it really should, go just below the breast! And so that is what I did. Love, love, love this top!

P.S. I also added significant side shaping. I took it down 20 stitches and back up 16 stitches to achieve a fitted top without relying on the cables and ribbing for fit. I also lengthened the top to 12.5 inches below the arms as I prefer my tops a little longer than what the pattern called for.

9 comments:

french girl said...

bonjour claudia!...
absolutely stunning on you and i love your mods....so glad you didn't listen to me! :)..i will share this with the sexy knitter's club who are doing fifi for their summer kal...i am sure they will totally love your take on the design...and thanks so much for the compliments, xo kristeen

Monika said...

Oh, wow, have never seen such a nice fitting top. The color suits you too. I wish I had your figure, then I could knit stuff like that as well. Mr.Puffy and Steve know what they are talking about! ;o)

jillian said...

Your Fifi is grand! Wonderful mods and the color is great on you too. I also wondered about that "line". I agree - below the girls is the way to go.

margaux said...

lovely fifi! i do like what you did :-) looks like a fabulous fit

amanda said...

Fifi looks great! A wonderful fit on you.

Anonymous said...

OH! Looks really great on you!!! If I have a chance for a second Fifi, I'll definitely go for Calmer! :P Yours just makes you sooo stunning!!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Thanks Ashley! I actually hadn't used Calmer before, but I will definately use it again :)

Monique said...

Ooohh! I like!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.