Saturday, September 1, 2007

A Weekend Shawl

This is my interpretation of the La Lana Wools Sea Foam Shawl using their Phat Silk Fine (sport weight) 50/50 bombyx silk/fine wool. The silk wool blend with the plant dyes gives this yarn a wonderful feel and a very elegant look. Simple but beautiful. It is one of my favorite shawls, although I haven't had the chance to wear it too often. For those familiar with the design, you will notice that it is missing the fringe! I decided it fit my personality better without the fringe.

It is a great shawl to take on a weekend trip as it can be dressed up or down and does tripple duty as sweater/blanket/jacket and that saves me tons of packing space! In fact, I'm taking it with me this weekend to Northern California on a quick trip to visit with some of Steve's family who live in the lovely town of Sebastopol. We are staying at a place where they have mud baths ~ should be interesting.




It's awfully hot here in Southern California. But, never fear, I continue with the ritual of tea regardless! However, at this time of year I keep my tea treat very simple, such as a shortbread cookie. This is a pretty basic shortbread cookie and can be jazzed up a bit with the lavender as I've done or with any type of seed/spice. They are also wonderful plain, and are more traditional that way.




Lavendar Shortbread Cookies
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Extra Fine Baking Sugar (White Granular Suger)
1/2 lb. Unsalted butter (sweet butter)
1 tsp. Lavendar that has been crushed (may be omitted for plain shortbread cookies)
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
extra sugar for sprinkling on top

Steps:
1. Melt butter and cool slightly.
2. Finely chop lavendar and mix with sugar (I find a coffee bean grinder works great).
3. Combine flour and sugar mixture (lavendar, lemon zest and sugar).
4. Add melted butter and mix until evenly combined.
5. Form dough into a log (wrap in waxed paper) and refridgerate until firm.
6. When ready to bake - set formed log on counter to slightly soften to allow easier slicing.
7. Slice into rounds and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
8. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. Let cool slightly on baking sheet.
9. While still warm, sprinke with white sugar.

This recipe can easily be halved or doubled, as need dictates. While I imagine you can pick lavendar from your garden ~ I am a fan of the Lavender Lounge Tea Company's French Lavender. The Lavender Lounge is a tea company based right in San Clemente ~ it's so cool to have a tea company so convenient. I also like the lavendar to sprinke in my drawers to fight you know what!

6 comments:

Monika said...

Oh my goodness! A Tea company in town, and French Lavendar sounds wonderful. The cookies look delicious, especially with the lavendar on the plate! Your shawl and you wearing it look fabulous! Really very elegant! Have fun with the mud bath! ;o)

Bridget said...

I really like the shawl, and can't imagine it with fringe to be honest.

Uh-oh - shortbread. Time to get out the old mixing bowls!

(P.S. Did you see the game yesterday? Geez.)

jillian said...

Your shawl is gorgeous! And such a great picture of you. Have fun up north!

Morrgan said...

Such a beautiful shawl! I prefer fringeless shawls for myself too. Thanks for the shortbread recipe, I might have to make some for my shortbread-loving husband.

amanda said...

Beautiful shawl and great photos. Hope it cools down soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I love the bond cardigan and am looking forward to knitting that one day. I enjoyed perusing your blog. Mr. Puff and DB are really cute and your mom looks so elegant in the sweater that your aunt knit.