Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Family That Jogs Together

One thing really nice is that Steve and I are able to jog together in the mornings. We live on top of a mountain and have incredible views so it's a beautiful way for us to start the day with some quiet time together and get our exercise too!


A week or so ago Steve could not find his gloves for our morning jog so he borrowed my "Fetching" fingerless mitts. To put this in context, if I haven't mentioned it before, Steve is very particular and a minimalist to boot. He won't wear wool because it's "too itchy," he doesn't want a sweater because he already has too many, etc., etc. So, imagine my delight when he announced that he enjoyed wearing my Fetchings mitts! I can only suppose that it is the silk component that he likes. I immediately ordered the same yarn in his favorite color (royal blue) and now he has his own "Dashings" to wear on our morning jog!


Dashing Fingerless Mitts ~ free pattern ~ Knitty. Approximately 1.5 Skeins Noro, Cash Iroha (wool/silk 50% blend). US 4 Needles. I shortened them a little to suit Steve's taste and only did 2 cables instead of 3.

Steve, being Steve, also inquired "can not Mr Puffy also have a pair?" And I couldn't see any reason why not. I call them Pufflets.


As an aside, the little woolly lamb in the picture above is from our trip to New Zealand. It is made with a real fleece and emits a remarkably accurate bahhhhh sound! New Zealand is a beautiful country to visit. We went several years ago in December over our Christmas holiday and just loved it. One favorite memory is from a genuine "farm stay" where we spent the night in a cottage located in the middle of a pasture full of sheep. The cottage was slightly elevated and had glass walls (with curtains you could close) so during the day we had the sheep milling all around us. Truly an amazing experience. It was also fun to experience a little of farm life. After tucking into a traditional breakfast the farmer took us out to a pasture where he had herds of reindeer and sheep. He then proceeded to demonstrate the herding skills of his dog. His little dog was able to control the much larger animals without a bark - it was all done with running and staring down the larger animals. Really something to see.

I must be in a talkative mood today. I'm also going to tell you about a little something I found under my parent's Christmas tree. It is Colinette Tao and Parisienne yarn and it's going to be the Silver Birch hat from the Arboretum pattern book. I love knitting with the Colinette. It's soft and beautiful yarn. The colorway is Moss - in both the Tao and Parisienne. To be honest, I have no idea how this hat comes together. I keep checking the pattern to make sure I'm doing it right. It seems I am. So I'm forging ahead and hope it all becomes clear in the end!

10 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow so much in one post, where to start ...

You "remodeled" - it looks nice, but I was surprised to see your blog first in my Bloglines list!

Steve! He does exist, now we have a picture.

I do like the blue mitts, and Mr Puffy's "Pufflets" nearly did me in - he seems quite comfortable wearing them also, which I just LOVE!

Now you have me intrigued about that hat - what will it look like when it's finished? I can't wait.

I love that little sheep, and it's the perfect souvenir.

Anonymous said...

Wow- a spouse you can jog with AND who requests knits (I can't keep up with mine, and the knits are usually forced on him!). Beautiful Dashings- great color on both Steve and Mr. Puffy.

kasiaiscarly said...

he he he. . . . pufflets :) thanks for making me smile first thing in the morning :)

Knitted Gems said...

Steve and Mr. Puffy look great in their fetchings. (Well, Mr. Puffy looks better, but don't tell Steve)!
And, goodness, you might have Steve converted to your way of thinking before too long.
Looking forward to seeing your hat completed. The yarn is lovely.

Monika said...

What can I say - I'm still laughing because of the "Pufflets"! MrPuffy excuse me, but they are too cute, and such a sweet idea! Glad Steve likes his mittens, it's always nice when knitted items are welcomed. Your New Zealand vacation sounded like something I would have enjoyed too. Cute sheep, a lovely memento. I like the fuzzyness of your new hat to be.

Windyridge said...

I love the one ear down sheep! So cute! And of course Mr. Puffy looks dashing with his custom knit gear!

amanda said...

Those pufflets are the funniest things I've seen all day - SO CUTE!!! I giggled when i saw them because they really are so perfect - brilliant!

Pat K said...

Love the pufflets!

A South Park Republican said...

Pufflets ... awesome!

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard when I saw Mr. Puffy with his pufflets. He is just so darn cute. Your projects are great.