Saturday, January 5, 2008

Romeo, Romeo

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Sorry for the cheap plagiarism. I couldn't resist because I'm wearing my Juliet Cap and am trying to get into character.





The Juliet Cap was designed by Kateri van Huystee, of Gifted Hands. I purchased the pattern from The Knitting Vault which has a ton of patterns from smaller designers. The philosophy of this designer really comports with my own. She designs very basic patterns and then combines them with fabulous yarns and achieves stunning results. She also adds little details that are nice such as the french knot used to top this hat, as shown in the picture below. I used Noro Cash Iroha and US 7 needles but she also recommends Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted for this pattern which has gorgeous jewel toned yarn as well.


I also have her Field of Gold Rustic Wrap Pattern:



I simply love this design. I see myself wearing it as I stroll down Del Mar in downtown San Clemente popping into the local shops on a Saturday morning! That was something I did as a child in Santa Barbara. On Saturday mornings my mother would always take my sister and me out for a coffee and then we would look around the shops. To this day, I find no other way to spend a Saturday morning as enjoyable as a coffee out and shopping. I always manage to find a scented bar of soap, a good book, or other small treasure to bring home with me.

I'm having trouble finding the perfect yarn for it, though. The designer recommends Manos Del Uruguay but at 1,300 yards that's a bit pricy. Still, if I thought that was the perfect yarn for it I wouldn't mind. I am just concerned that the Manos might make it a bit heavy with that much yardage. Maybe not. Somehow I'm thinking I would like something with a little more loft than the Manos. It does need a rustic feel to the yarn, though. I know I'm being wishy-washy but with this much yardage you really need to be sure that the yarn is a good fit for the pattern....

6 comments:

Monika said...

How very pretty this Juliet Cap is! And I think it's funny too, and different. Like the colors, and the stitch pattern. So, if you are Juliet in this play, is MrPuffy Romeo? ;o)

Bridget said...

Love it! And that is a pretty wrap, I may have to give that some thought ...

Wow, I thought I was the only person who thought a Saturday morning of coffee out and shopping was the epitome of a great way to spend time! Everyone else I know says things like, why get up in the *morning* on a Saturday??

Oh well, the next time I'm out, I'll be pretending we are keeping each other company ... :-)

Mr Puffy as Romeo - now *that* would be blind casting!

jillian said...

So cute! And purple! (I love purple)

Knitted Gems said...

Your Juliet hat is stunning! I love the colors you knit it in. Good luck hunting for the perfect wool yarn for your shawl!

amanda said...

Very cute hat - I really like the style and pattern!

knittingdragonflies said...

OOOOO Love the wrap!! And the cap also.