Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wandering The Moors Shawl ~

One reason I enjoying knitting as a hobby is because I'm able to create clothing for myself evocative of an earlier time in history. Something I can't simply purchase off the rack. The Wandering the Moors shawl that I'm wearing is a great example of this because it positively oozes medieval charm from it's homespun feel to its mystical reference to the moors.


I am intrigued by the moors having read numerous mystery novels with the story set on or near the moors.   So imagine my delight when I actually met a knitter who resides on the moors where she runs Barnabas House B&B with her husband, blind mother, and her adorable german shepherd dog, Brio.  I was so taken with the beautiful photos of the area where Carolyn lives and Brio's story (which I have shared at the end of this post) that I suggested that the Ravelry group we both belong to (German Shepherd Lovers) might enjoy knitting the Wandering the Moor shawl as a group project.  I feel very connected to this group where we share so much in common, not just our love of knitting and dogs but also our kindred spirits.  This way we could all be a part of Brio's walks on the moor no matter where we lived, where our life path may take us, or our imagination might transports us.


I am happy to report we had 18 participants in our Wandering the Moor Knit Along and saw many wonderful interpretations of this pattern and shared interesting stories about each of the knitters and the areas where we live.  If you are a member of Ravelry you might enjoy visiting the main German Shepherd Lovers group which has a wealth of information about German Shepherd dogs and many beautiful, silly, and inspiring pictures and stories of our shepherds.


Besides its locale appeal, I am really thrilled that I made this shawl.  The alpaca yarn I used is light yet cozy and has a wonderful rich luster, and the shawl is a very wearable size and color.  I particularly like the above photo because to me it looks as if I am ready to strap on a sword and leap onto the back of a horse and gallop off seeking adventure.  That's not realistic, of course.  Because I am lacking a horse.  And a sword.  And what I really am about to do is go home and fix dinner.  I guess that means there won't be any adventuring for me today unless it's vicariously through a novel.  But that doesn't mean I won't find an adventure tomorrow, and with my shawl I'll be ready.



Particulars:  Wandering the Moor shawl pattern; inspired by Jane Eyre; designed by Celeste Glassel; Toft Alpaca British Alpaca, 3 skeins Fine Chestnut colorway; US 6 needles.  I modified the pattern by centering the pattern to have a "true" center rather than being off by one stitch.  I did that by changing the pattern's center repeat to: ((KFB, CS, KFB)) from ((KFB, SM,KFB, K1)).  Note that it’s the same number of stitches (5) but this changes creates a true center.  I also modified the pattern slightly by making all my increases as "M1" versus "KFB" and I simply used a true garter stitch tab along the edges.  It's a very simply pattern and makes a lovely cozy wrap to wear.  Finished blocked (lightly) dimensions (I made the larger size) 25" x 60".   Previous knits that I've made with Toft Alpaca yarn is their Pebble Bag Kit blogged as Alpaca Never Felt So Good.

P.S. The shawl pin seen in this post was made for me by Sherrie (SmotoExpress) one of the knit along members.  She designed this pin specifically to wear with my shawl and it couldn't be more perfect.  I am incredibly touched and appreciative of her thoughtfulness.  



Brio's Story ~



This adorable german shepherd is Brio who at the age of 2-3 years was rescued by the Devon GSD Rescue.  At the time of his rescue he had been starved and beaten and as a result was suffering from chronic renal disease.  Despite receiving plenty of food he is still quite small due to his early neglect (he weighs about 65 lbs).  He is understandably wary of new things but Carolyn tells me his love is fierce and bright just like his name "Brio" which means "playing with brilliance," in musical parlance.



It was Brio's good fortune when Carolyn came into his life and he was transported from the rescue facility into the Dartmoor National Park in Devon, UK, where Carolyn runs the Barnabas House B&B.  Now Brio's days are filled with wonderful walks on the moors and cozy evenings in the Inn playing with squeaky toys and receiving lots of cuddles from his forever family.  I love seeing the pictures that Carolyn shares of Brio romping on the moors and and watching this little dog who truly plays with brilliance.  And bless his furry little heart he deserves all the love and enjoyment that life offers.  There are many worthy charities that call to each of us but dog rescues operate on a shoe string budget caring for throwaways and abused dogs that often require medication care. Giving to charities such as Devon GSD Rescue or donating blankets or food to your local rescue is always appreciated and needed.


Thank you Carolyn for letting me share Brio's story and your beautiful pictures of Dartmoor National Park ~

Until next time, be well and love well and may we all enjoy adventures and wonderful wanderings wherever we may find ourselves. 

14 comments:

Andi said...

Wonderful story about Brio. German Shephards have long been my favorite dog since I was a child. Since I live in a small apt with no yarn, it would be selfish of me to have one. That is why I live vicariously through you. :)
Now, on to another love..that shawl! I have been eyeing that pattern for a long time, after seeing yours, I must knit one. Perfect color choice. It is simply beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I was so touched by Brio's story and love your shawl. The two seem to go together as you linked their stories in your post.

magnusmog said...

the shawl is beautiful - just right for many many adventures!

Willow said...

I SO want to knit that shawl! I have some white alpaca fiber I'm currently spinning. Maybe the yarn and the pattern will be a match made in moor heaven. I'll look into it.
BTW, on a more personal note, will you be attending the Seaside Higland Games at Ventura County fairgrounds in mid-October? I'll be there part of the time on the demo team with our spinning/weaving guild...

Carolyn said...

Lovely lovely shawl, and WHAT a handsome doggy ... OK I admit it, I'm biased. Thanks so much for sharing this

Renee said...

Celeste's pattern is excellent and I really enjoyed the gift I knit from it. Seeing yours I realize I should knit one for myself so I can embark on adventures!

Brio's story is wonderful with a beautiful happy ending. Dogs rescue people and animals are so worthy. I do so miss our german shepherds and feel my heart warm reading about Simcha and other shepherds in your blog.

SissySees said...

What a lovely project, but Brio's story really touched me. Thank goodness for fresh starts. I'm so very glad Brio got one.

gMarie said...

I have missed your posts. Glad to see you knitting and modelling a lovely shawl. Brio is a very lucky dog indeed and you are right - dog charities are a fabulous way to give. g

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Thank you all for your nice comments. I love all my knitting projects but some are a little more special than others. And Chloe I'm glad you enjoyed Brio's story. His has a happy ending but there are many not so fortunate. GSD often end up in shelters because people don't realize how much time and effort it takes to train them. But if you do you will have a smart, loyal, and loving companion.

Gail said...

Absolutely beautiful Claudia! What a great story.....I envy your knitting abilities, thank you for sharing. Happy Autumn!

Anonymous said...

AAAWWWWW! I am such a total 'helpless' when it comes to German Shepherds - my dad had a couple of them. They are very sporty and indeed, very very intelligent dogs, unfortunately they are prone to hip joint ailments. And they are soo gentle toooo...
The shawl came out great! You really knit fast!

Anita said...

I just adore your scarf and I bet you're very proud of it. There is something quite special about knitted clothing. Thanks for sharing the Brio story and thank goodness there are nice people in the world who love animals.
Cheers, Anita.

KnittySue said...

Touching story of Brio. Your shawl is beautiful, it's been on my list of todo's and now I have to cast it on. I have a question though..your modification for true center..kfb I know but I'm drawing a blank with "cs"..can you email me and clarify...knittysue20@yahoo.com. Thanks

Knitting Needle Conversion Charts said...


This is so lovely and has become a thing of beauty and a fun project that would inspire bunch of knitters. Brio's story is very touching. Thank you so much for sharing a great story. Absolutely beautiful!